Potency is the ability of the body to perform a sexual intercourse. Usually, this term refers to male sexuality. Impotence (inability to achieve and maintain erection necessary for sexual contact) is caused by either physical or psychological reasons. Many cases combine these factors.
Reduced potency can be explained by other reasons. They include:
- Excessive alcohol consumption;
- Excessive physical exercise (cycling);
- Recreational drugs (cocaine);
- Fatigue and stress;
- Abdominal surgery (prostate surgery);
- Environmental factors (pesticides).